GSA Participates in Pride Festival, March 30

Despite the rainy and gloomy weather at the first ever Pride St. Charles event March 30, the atmosphere remained nothing short of positive at the Francis Howell GSA booth.

“Being apart of the event itself was so great and even though it was raining, none of the fun was ruined,” GSA vice president Anna German said.

The festival was hosted by PFLAG(Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays) and took place at St. Charles Community College campus from noon to 6 pm.

The event was created to provide another opportunity to celebrate the region’s diversity, but in a smaller setting more orientated toward the community of St. Charles.

“At our booth we were offering face painting and giving out little informational pamphlets on how GSA can benefit both schools and the community,” German added. “All of us rotated in and out so that we could enjoy all of the stuff that was offered.”

In addition to the Francis Howell booth, there were a variety of options for festival goers to participate in. Food trucks and shops helped to promote a welcoming atmosphere, while booths for knowledge and acceptance were there for more serious participants.

“The biggest thing the student body should know is that GSA isn’t just for gay people,” president Trevor Bennett said.

The club has approximately 40 members, both gay and straight alike, and is sponsored by Mrs. Hillyer.

writer: Shelby Odle

GSA Booth at Pride St. Charles

Seniors Trevor Bennet and Anna German stand with 2015 graduate Taylor Holderness at the Pride event, March 30.