The Maybe Man: Maybe You Should Listen

The Maybe Man: Maybe You Should Listen

AJR, a globally recognized band, has recently released a new album, The Maybe Man. However, this isn’t like any other AJR album, this one is special. The Maybe Man is undoubtedly AJR’s most meaningful album and maybe even their best overall.

To begin, this album focuses heavily on the uncertainty of growing up and maturing in a world where no one really seems to know the right path to follow. This album follows the overall themes of their last three albums, which each reflect change and different aspects of growing up in some way. The way that they set up their albums truly reflects true musicality and thought towards the overall understanding of their album. In The Maybe Man, they convey this theme through each of the songs.

The album starts with an interesting take on an overture, which AJR typically uses to introduce the overall theme of their album. Their overture for The Maybe Man is a song by a title of the same name, in which each lyric reflects a specific song in the album and how it is important to the band. As the song goes on, the music becomes more intense and even starts to sound more panicked, until the song grows quiet before erupting into periodic chants of the words “one, two, pandemonium!” while the music grows more passionate. Overall, this overture sort of song is a unique way to introduce the album, and it sets AJR apart from other bands because it shows how much thought the group puts into their albums and the meanings behind them.

In addition, AJR has put out what is likely the final song in their “Turning Out” trilogy as a part of The Maybe Man. Each of the songs is meant to reflect on the actuality of falling in love with someone and how being in love isn’t how it’s actually portrayed in the media. The most recent “Turning Out” song is their best one yet. Each of the songs are meant to be sadder sounding than their typically more upbeat songs; however, I like how “Turning Out p. III” matches the overall mood of The Maybe Man album without feeling like it was pushed in there without thought for how it would sound while listening to the album in order. In all, this song is a great ending to the trilogy because the song starts seeming like it will continue with the doubtful nature of the previous two songs, however, it ends on a much lighter note with the notion that the two lovers will figure it out in due time.

Furthermore, this album shows great improvement musically since AJR first began and since their most recent album. Although all of their albums have maintained a specific genre that according to them is a  mix of “barbershop harmonies and electronic music,” it has certainly gotten more refined throughout the years. The Maybe Man clearly demonstrates that they have come into their own stylistically, and they possess the confidence required for artists to make it big in the industry. This improvement also goes along with the theme of the album which is about becoming sure of yourself and figuring out who you are meant to be as a person, much like how AJR seems to have found a style that matches their fun personalities and where they want to go with their music in the future.

In conclusion, AJR’s new album The Maybe Man is a great album because of the meaningful theme, the unique songs, the end of a trilogy, and all of the improvements that they have made throughout the years. So, the next time you’re choosing a playlist to listen to, consider listening to The Maybe Man because it’s worth it.