Speakers announced for Class of 2024 Commencement Ceremony

Maya Nordeen

Earnest, nervous smiles defined the buzz in the St. Charles Family Arena on June 3, 2023, as the Francis Howell High School Class of 2023 tossed their royal blue, gold-tassel caps high into the air. The celebration of this milestone, high school graduation, will occur again this year for the Class of 2024 on Saturday, June 1 at 8:30 AM.

“I’ve always viewed [graduation] as a sappy event that everyone’s forced to go to,” senior Ava Postal said. “But now that I know it’s my class, and I’ve had connections with everyone throughout the past [four] years, I’m excited to watch everyone walk and get their diplomas handed to them.”

Seniors Chase Montgomery, Postal and Pooja Nagareddygari auditioned to lead the procession, give the senior speech, and deliver a concluding speech during the ceremony.

“I’m really excited for it because when I tried out, I knew I really wanted to speak. I [am giving] a three-minute speech [that is] a wrap-up to the entire ceremony, kind of challenging the class of 2024 as they move on through the rest of their lives,” Nagareddygari said.

Francis Howell’s graduation is the first of the day, soon followed by Central and North; the ceremony will conclude at 10:30 AM. Friends and family are permitted to watch.

“It’s a little bittersweet; I’m excited for the summer and getting ready for college, but it’s weird to realize that I’ll never see some of these people again. [I’m] trying to make the most of the time we have left,” Montgomery said.

The countdown is certainly on; the Francis Howell School District will conclude the 2023-24 school year on May 26.

“It’s sad to think that freshman year [is] already four years ago, but I’m excited to see what the future holds,” Postal said. “Even though there might be a few bumps in the road, you’ll eventually see it will be better in the end.”