Winter guard takes 1st in WGI finals

Maya Nordeen
Freshman Lacey Oberg performs at the MCCGA Francis Howell tournament, Feb. 7.

March 9, Winter Guard traveled to Bellevue, Nebraska, to compete in the Winter Guard International competition hosted at Bellevue East High School. They took first in both Prelims and Finals in the Scholastic Regional A division, scoring an 80.50 in Prelims and an 81.18 in Finals. 

“It felt amazing [to place first] because we realized all of our hard work has finally payed off,” sophomore Taylor Rawlings said.

Placing first takes hard work and a lot of practice. The  Winter Guard practices every Tuesday and Thursday. 

“In practice, I’ve really been working on my sabre and attempting to get really consistent technique on it. I think I have gotten much better,” junior Kate Carson said.

The amount of practice and hard work the guard has been putting into their show has been paying off. In addition to placing first at WGI last weekend, they have placed first at every competition they have been to.

“A highpoint has been the fact that we have won every competition we have been to so far,” Rawlings said.

So far, the Winter Guard has competed in four competitions, placing first at all four. This leaves them undefeated.

“All of the [competitons] we have been to have been really fun,” Carson said. “We’ve gotten to see a lot of performances and learn from other guards.”