Boys Cross Country Takes on Rim Rock

The boys Cross Country team competed in the prestigious Rim Rock meet Sept. 23. This meet includes competition from all over the country, bringing hundreds of competitors to Kansas.

“It’s very big meet with a lot of big competitors from Colorado all around the Midwest,.” jJunior Alex Koeneker said.

Koeneker found himself in a precarious position during the race, trailing behind a group of runners. He said the The treacherous terrain of the course was unforgiving, and it seemed uncertain if he could recover. However, Koeneker said he demonstrated resilience by strategizing his comeback.

“Once I got stuck in the back, I just didn’t lose my cool. I told myself that this is the race and decided to just work my way up,” Koeneker said. 

Koeneker’s strategy paid off, allowing him to ascend through the ranks and secure 74th place out of nearly 300 competitors. The challenging terrain and the sheer number of participants made the race a daunting ordeal for all involved.

“There were guys getting mad and shoving people around. Some guy tried to shove me to the ground but he ended up boosting me forward”, which gave me some confidence” Koenecker said.

The course’s rugged nature added an extra layer of complexity to the already intense competition. The allure of this meet extends beyond its stunning natural surroundings; it lies in the unforgiving landscape it offers. With its undulating hills, steep ascents, and meandering trails, the terrain at Rim Rock serves as an unrelenting challenge.

“When a course is really hilly I have to be very careful to conserve my energy. It takes a lot of physical and mental power to continue,” senior Carson Miller said.

The mental aspect of a sport like cross country is one that is often overlooked. Athletes must not only battle their body to physically keep running, but also their minds, as they run sub 6 minute miles. Millers relies on a good pre-race plan in order to keep his mind ready. 

“I always take time to remind myself that I am here to race but also have fun. This meet isn’t my entire life.” Miller said.

While cross country is an individual sport, there is a team aspect when it comes to support. Encouragement from teammates is vital to a successful season. 

“Our team is always there to lift everybody up. It feels incredible to be so supported,” Miller said.