Varsity Softball State Champions

On Friday, Oct. 27 varsity softball made school history by winning the Class 5 State Championship game against the Blue Springs South Jaguars. The Vikings shutout the Jaguars, scoring eight runs and allowing zero.

“It was really exciting and nerve wracking, but I feel like the team was prepared to do well,” freshman Adelle Metz said.

Senior Lorin Boutte pitched a shutout game, allowing four hits and zero runs. Boutte received awards from the Missouri State High School Sports Association for First Team All-District as a pitcher, First Team All GAC South, Co-Player of the Year, Academic All-Conference, First Team All-Region One and First Team All-State. 

“It is such a great comeback from last year, considering we lost to the same team. We all played very well and did what  we needed to do,” Boutte said. “Before the game we were pretty relaxed, listened to music and enjoyed each other’s company, knowing was our last game together.” 

In the top of the fourth inning, senior Macey Nix singled to the left fielder to lead the Vikings 3-0, and went four for three with two RBIs. Nix received awards from the Missouri State High School Sports Association for First Team All-District as an infielder, Second Team All GAC South and Academic All-Conference. 

“It was an amazing feeling and experience to win. I think we all contributed as a team and it all worked out,” Nix said. “We went down early to Springfield to practice before, we went out to dinner and bowling and we all bonded together.”

Additional player achievements included junior Camille Walkowiak’s double play in the top of the second to keep the score 0-0, senior Elisabeth Grethey catching five fly balls and pop flys to help the Vikings keep the Jaguars at zero runs, and senior Megan McCutcheon making the last out in the game off of a pop fly to lead the Vikings to victory. Walkowiak. Grethey and McCutcheon all received Academic All-Conference.

“I was proud of the team since we came back and played the same team from last year and were able to beat them. We were out for revenge. We all knew it was going to be a tough, intense game,” McCutcheon said. “I was less worried about my personal performance and was more invested on how we all did together.”

The Vikings ended the season with a record of 27-6. 

“It was amazing to come back to state and to know we had another shot of winning. It felt so good to win and it felt even better since it was the same team we played last year. The whole experience was a memory that will live in my mind forever. I love this team so much and I’m so happy we all got to share this experience together,” Grethey said.