The Students News Site of Francis Howell High School

Girls JV Volleyball Pulls Win Over Timberland

It may have taken a bit for the JV volleyball team to find its groove, but once they did, the Vikings pulled through for a win over the Wolves.

After falling behind by five points early at Timberland, the girls pushed back to earn a 25-20, 25-14 victory.

“We were frustrated because of all the stupid mistakes we were making,” freshman Kayla Calandro said. “As we started gaining momentum and confidence, it felt great to come back and beat them. Also, all the cheering and encouragement helped us to come back.”

It would be understandable for the Vikings to have the pre-game butterflies, standing across the court from Timberland, during the JV Lady Vikings first conference match.

“We were a little nervous because we knew that Timberland was pretty good, but before the game we all came together and made it a point that if we played to our full potential we could win,” Calandro said.
Sophomore middle blocker Kelsey Russell slapped up four points in a row on the score board, due to her furious serve. Her contribution pulled the Vikings ahead.
“We knew we had the potential as a team to beat Timberland, so we just pulled it together and ended up winning,” Russell said.
Collectively, all tiers of the Lady Viking volleyball program play at a very high level and don’t drop matches to just anyone, so a loss was definitely not on the girl’s minds.
“Well I think it was that our school has a good reputation in volleyball,” freshman Kirsten Burgere said. “We really didn’t want to ruin that.”
Written by: Javoni Faucette