The Students News Site of Francis Howell High School

What Do You Mean? by Justin Bieber Song Review

Justin Bieber’s back with his new song “What Do You Mean?”. It’s one of his first songs since his planned come back, and the second released this year after “Where Are U Now” was released in June. “What Do You Mean?” is currently number one on the iTunes chart and has gotten over 21 million views on only three days.

“What Do You Mean?” has a unique pop sound that strangely catchy, although it does sound a lot like “Where Are U Now.” The lyrics talk about Bieber’s confusion with his indecisive girlfriend, which feels a bit like an overused sexist trope, and even seems to enforce rape culture. Part of the song says, “What do you mean?/Ohh ohh ohh/When you nod your head yes/But you wanna say no.”   

The music video was a strange play on an action movie. It starts with Bieber making what appears to be a drug deal and making the drug dealer promise to “make sure the girl doesn’t get hurt” which again sees cliche and sexist. The video goes on to some steamy scenes of Bieber and a girl making out until they get stormed in on by men in masks. They get captured, Bieber manages to break free with the girl, and the music stops and it seems like the couple is going to have to jump to their death. Then, in another cliche move, Bieber asks the girl if she trusts him. Then they jump. They land on a cushion. It turns out the masked man was Bieber drug dealer friend from earlier. They day is saved, and they have a random skateboard party. To be honest, the music video confused me more than Bieber’s indecisive girlfriend did in the song.  

Overall, the song sounds catchy and new, but the message is sexist and overused. Beiber sure has grown up from the time of cheesy, catchy pop songs, but after hearing this, it might not be a good thing.

writer: Gabriela Gable