Approaching Finals

As the end of the year approaches, so do finals. To prepare, students have developed different study habits.

“I use the study guides teachers give me,” senior Madisyn Johnson said. “Most of it comes from just the day before the final really drilling in what I need to know for that final.”

“I use the review guides teachers give us, and I fill them out go over them for each class,” sophomore Emalee Ball said. “I wouldn’t be very prepared without the study guides.”

Study techniques include making flashcards and studying.

“I make flash cards based off the study guide that i get from my teachers,” sophomore Wyatt Daly said. “I use a lot of colors, so it’s fun to make them and actually pretty easy to make them too and then when I study them, they are not bad to look at. Mostly making all the flashcards takes me two to three days, but it’s only really like four hours of hard work and studying them takes a while too. Normally I have my friends quiz me at school before all of the finals and I also study at home.”

Finals occur May 20, 21, and 22, meaning studying begins early May.

“Personally I’m not a very good test taker,” Johnson said. “I should probably change the way I study for finals.”

“I’m an awful test taker,” sophomore Tatum Kaup said.” “But if I study hard enough, the finals might actually help my grade.”

Daly has a more optimistic feeling about taking finals due to the effort he is willing to put in to do well on the tests.

“I don’t think I can ever really be ready for finals, but when I get study guides for the tests and make flashcards, I will be as ready as I can be,” Daly said. “I will have a smaller amount of finals to take this semester than last semester because of AP tests and EOCs, so I should be pretty well prepared.”

Finals can vary in difficulty in each class, making some easier for others.

“My Digital Art Design class I feel will have an easy final exam,” Johnson said. “All we have to do is write a reflection of what we did for that quarter and I think Digital Art is my strong suit.”

“Understanding the Earth and the surrounding areas has always been an interest I have had,” Daly said. “I think I will do best on that final exam.”

With Final Exams being worth 20 percent, it can either help or hurt students’ grade dramatically depending on their score.

“Normally, they help my grade because some of the quizes or mini tests that I have done over the semester, I have not done necessarily good on, so I make sure I do better on finals and that normally boosts my grade,” Daly said.

“I’m not a very good test taker,” Johnson said. “So it usually doesn’t help me at all.”

“I’m an awful test taker,” Kaup said. “But if I study hard enough, the finals might actually help my grade.”