The Students News Site of Francis Howell High School

Flow Failure; Key Glock’s new single flops

SoundCloud

Key Glock’s new single, “One Me,” was lackluster at best. Memphis, Tenn. Rapper Markeyvius LaShun Cathey, better known by his stage name Key Glock, has seen great success within the past seven years, releasing more than 10 albums, with Yellow Tape, Yellow Tape 2 and Glockoma 2 being his best known. Despite his success, many fans are disappointed with Key’s newest release “One Me.” With sources giving a three-star rating, fans say the song feels incomplete with the beat and flow completely off. 

According to SOURCE, Key combined two 808 Mafia beats in his song to “symbolize right hooks.” But the beat isn’t the issue: it’s Key’s uneven flow and ugly blend with the beats. Grado Zero Beats said, “Flow is important in rap because it’s what gives personality and style to each rapper. It’s a crucial tool to connect with the audience and make the rap lyrics more effective. A good flow can make a rap song more memorable and catchy.” “One Me” has a staggered beat change within the first half of the song that completely killed it. 

Up to this point, everything in Key’s songs has been methodical, intricate lyrics with meaning were cautiously picked and beats custom-made to the lyrics to ensure a perfect flow. Dean Nguyen from Pitchfork.com said Key Glock’s most famous album, Yellow Tape was “a focused vision of what Glock is capable of, Yellow Tape is a work of wicked truths and unfiltered confidence, a book of genesis that feels like a post-mortem.” Yellow Tape sent Key into the mainstream back in 2020. “One Me” is not comparable to albums like Yellow Tape, Yellow Tape 2 and singles like “Off the Porch.” Every song up to “One Me” was structured so perfectly alongside the beat that you could leave the song with a feeling that Key had purposefully constructed for the listener. 

Key seems to have lost his allure in this song as well. Album of the Year said, “It isn’t anything special.” This is important to pay attention to because Album of the Year stated earlier that “Key Glock’s music is known for its gritty production and hard-hitting verses. His songs often have an infectious energy that draws listeners in and keeps them hooked until the very end … His distinctive style has made a prominent mark in the rap scene.” Though this song is definitely distinctive, it hits extremely subpar, scoring a 77% positive score from fans. The overall lackluster performance has fans wondering if Key will release any more songs in this style. 

In short, Key Glock’s new single “One Me” felt like a low-quality knockoff. With a jankey flow, poor blending, and lack of allure, fans have been left disappointed. Hopefully, Key will go back to his new style and continue to produce hits.