Olivia Rodrigo’s new album ‘Guts’ make headlines

Grammy award-winning artist Olivia Rodrigo released her second studio album Guts, two years after the release of her first album, Sour. The album includes 12 songs, including two singles released before the album, Vampire and Bad Idea Right? The album sticks to a similar indie pop theme as her first album, but with a noticeable change in her vocals. This created a grunge aspect that was absent from her previous album. 

The first song, all-american b*tch, focuses on the impossible standards that women are held to, both in day-to-day life and in the music industry. It speaks on how her body is supposed to be perfect, and the pressure of putting on a perfect persona. The song starts with a guitar strumming and descends into indie-rock instrumental but continues to cut back and forth between the two. This creates an intriguing composition reminiscent of Brutal in her first album. 

One song that stands out from the rest is making the bed, a slow paced ballad about Rodrigo’s regrets. Specifically it focuses on those from becoming famous and her dissatisfaction with the life she has made for herself, comparing herself to a tourist attraction. The song’s title refers to the idiom, if you make your bed, you must lie in it. Rodrigo talks about how she isn’t satisfied with her fame, but she is the one who made it happen. It gives fans a glimpse into her mind.

The best song, in my opinion, is the grudge, which is heavily reminiscent of Rodrigo’s first album and speaks on her difficulty with forgiveness, even when she knows she was in the wrong. The song is deeply personal and relatable, especially in relationships where you both messed up. The grudge starts with a quiet piano and progressively ads throughout the song, building to a climax in the bridge before reverting straight back into the soft piano from the beginning, creating a beautiful instrumental. The best part of the song is the bridge where Rodrigo’s vocals create a heartbreaking, brutally honest and sensitive mood.

Guts is currently sitting at #1 on the Billboard Hot 200 with all 13 songs making the top 100 as of Sept. 19. Vampire is the highest song on the list at #1, with Teenage Dream being the bottom song at #39. While critics are extremely split on Guts, most agree it is a huge hit for a sophomore album and a great sequel to Sour. While not all parts of this album are perfect, it does a great job of switching up the tone for every single song, with some spunky pop hits and some sad ballads, creating an album in which everyone can find at least one song they love.