Speech and Debate Team Recruits New Members

The Speech and Debate team is  looking for new members. The team meets on Tuesdays in room D122.

“I think it’s important to join Speech and Debate because it gives you a lot of good speaking skills that you just need for a job or college, or anything in life really,” sophomore Claire Burchett said.

Burchett competes with the Speech and Debate team and competes in storytelling, as well as reader’s theater and radio.

“I think students at Howell should join Speech and Debate to strengthen their public speaking skills, build confidence, and feel a sense of community with peers,” social studies teacher and coach Katie Boesch said.

This is Boesch’s first year as assistant Speech and Debate coach.

“I’m excited to be a part of such a wonderful program,” Boesch said.

Some students in speech and debate might have joined the team to improve their public speaking skills, but Burchett said she joined because of her brother.

“I saw he had such a good time, which made me want to join,” Burchett said.

Meeting new people from Speech and debate is one of Burchett’s favorite things about the team.

“You get to meet people who are from outside of school from tournaments,” Burchett said.

Boesch said joining the Speech and Debate team can help students in multiple ways.

“I think Speech and Debate helps students grow academically and interpersonally – plus, it’s fun,” Boesch said.

View Comments (2)
About the Contributor
Taylor Mallett
Taylor Mallett, Journalism I
Hi! My name is Taylor, and I am a sophomore. I'm involved in the Marching Band here at Howell. I also enjoy taking pictures and I really like to write. I'm excited to write about all of the events that happen here at Howell, especially for activities I participate in!

Comments (2)

All FHHS Today Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• J

JulieNov 4, 2023 at 8:47 am

Great article! Some benefits of Speech and Debate I hadn’t thought about before.

Reply
  • S

Sarah Daly-BurchettNov 3, 2023 at 10:16 am

Great story and a great organization to join!

Reply