The Students News Site of Francis Howell High School

Varsity Volleyball unites, gears up for districts

Girls varsity volleyball (24-7-1) is preparing for districts, which start Oct. 17. The team is seeded no. 1.

“I think if we work hard, we have a shot. It’s obviously a very tough road. There’s a lot of good teams in our way. It’s just really going to come down to tough competition and a lot of discipline,” assistant coach Brandon Guice said.

The players also feel optimistic going into Districts.

“I think we have a really good chance this year,” senior right side Allison Delassus said. “We have a great coach. Everyone on the team likes each other. We have good chemistry. So we all work really well together and we all fight for each other.”

The players have been doing more team bonding. Some of these players have been playing together for a long time, while others are just starting out in the program. After several seniors graduated in 2023, many players had to step up into leadership roles this season.

“We stand out because we all work together really well as a team. We constantly are trying to bond within the entire program . . . We all know each other and we all try to connect with each other and just be a family,” Delassus said.

Guice said the team is having fun this year and enjoys playing together a lot.

“I think they are building better connections with each other. I can tell they enjoy seeing each other outside of volleyball. It’s just overall been a great experience this year,” Guice said.

The team is not just having more fun, but they have also become closer as teammates and friends.

“I think that we’re a really strong team and our chemistry is really great this year. We all are kind of like a family,” senior outside Claudia Boncacorsi said.