HOSA participates in state competition March 22-26

Many events have had to be altered this year due to the pandemic. The Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA) State meet that took place March 22-26 was not an exception. 

HOSA helps to provide a space for networking as well as provide healthcare career exploration opportunities it’s members.

Every year, we have a state competition with both individual and team events on various healthcare topics including everything from pharmacology to healthcare photography,” junior Chloe Kaplan said.

Kaplan works as the Junior Class Officer, with the responsibilities of fundraising and assisting other officers in providing for the members experiences, such as, job shadowing and listening to guest speakers.

The competition was moved to be online with flexible windows for submissions. Along with this, there was also a weeklong session that still had the interactive sessions that are normally provided at the in-person event.

“I am disappointed that the International Competition is also virtual so we won’t get to go to Disney World, but I’m sure they will do a great job with that as well,” Kaplan said. “I felt that HOSA did a really wonderful job of making all the normal presentations informative and entertaining, as well as recognizing everyone for their achievements.”

12 HOSA members placed within the top five at state. 

Junior Chloe Kaplan- first Epidemiology. 

Seniors Ashley Wunnenberg and Rachel Curran- first Forensic Science. 

Junior Caitlin Mattingly and sophomore Peyton Nguyen- second in Medical Intervention. 

Seniors Will Spence and Blake Johnson- third in Forensic Science

Sophomores Kevna Konduru and Tanvi Lomada, senior Anisha Konduru, and Junior Hayden Trezek- fourth in HOSA Bowl

Sophomore Alyssa Corbett- fifth in Behavioral Health