School Nurses Work From Home

As COVID-19 hit Missouri, and schools turned to online learning to lessen exposure, the nurses helped to run the school health department and keep the school functioning. 

There is a lot of paperwork involved in the running of a health department,” Nurse Roxann Monti said. “Getting the updated shot record into the computer so the student will be compliant by state law to start the first day of school.”

All school nurses are at home, answering emails, voice mails, and any questions people might have. 

All FHSD nurses are on call for the duration of the shut down,” Nurse Rose Holmes said. “We can work from home on our computer and get some paperwork done that may come in through email.

The St. Charles County Health Department called on all school nurses to help staff the Emergency Operation Center to help find resources for those affected by COVID-19.

“We are answering phone calls from potential patients and families who may have questions about a loved one that may have been diagnosed with COVID-19,” Holmes said. 

Even remotely the nurses still worked to help students not directly affected by the virus. 

“Unlike the teachers, we do not have classes to teach on a daily basis,” Monti said. “We have a few students that we monitor and touch base with from our home.”

“The most important thing is wash your hands, try not to touch your face, we are all in this together,” Holmes said. 

Any student or parents with questions about COVID-19 can ask registered school nurses at 636-949-1899 from 8 a.m.-8 p.m.