Hall Monitors Emerge For End of Semester

As finals week comes near, the hall monitors of Howell emerge again. Starting last year, the administration staff has had adults not currently employed at Howell roam the halls in the final weeks of the semester to check students for passes and ensure overall safety in the halls of our school.

However, not all students find the presence of hall monitors necessary to our well-being as a school.

“I think they aren’t a useful way to spend our money,” senior Jack Serfas said. “We have security cameras and teachers that can do the job the monitors will be doing.”

The two monitors hired by Howell are Joanna Thouvenot, the new girls’ lacrosse coach, and Jake Baumgartner, an assistant boys’ soccer coach.

“I don’t understand why having them the last week of the semester will make a big difference,” senior Jessica Hedrick said. “We should all be able to act like adults by now, so we shouldn’t need to be monitored as we walk the halls.”

The job description includes asking students for passes when students are in the hallways, reporting students who are in the hallways without permission, and communicating with school staff about what is happening in the school.

“We already have security guards around school,” senior Alyssa Anderson said. “Having more people watching over us at all times makes it seem like we’re being treated like we’re younger and more immature than we really are.””