Q&A with linebacker junior Cole Libbert

Reporter Quentin White sat down with junior Cole Libbert to discuss his thoughts on being a back-up, 2nd string linebacker not for his own lack of talent, but rather the excess of talent from the 1st string.

Q: On the depth chart, you are behind four of the best linebackers in the area, maybe even the state, how do you feel about that? What are your thoughts?

A: It’s awesome to play with some of the best linebackers in the state. They have taught me a lot about my position and helped me with any troubles I have. They set high standards and there’ll be some big shoes to fill.

Q: Do you feel like you have the ability to play on Friday nights if it wasn’t for the high level of talent that was in front of you?

A: Definitely. If it wasn’t for the insanely high ability that those guys have all of the 2nd string guys would be playing, not just me. I feel like every one of us has the ability to start.

Q: You played in the first JV game a couple weeks ago, correct?

A: Yeah, I dropped down and started on JV.

Q: How do you feel about that? Do you view that opportunity in a positive manner or not so much?

A: Again a definite yes. I think that all 2nd String varsity players should take the opportunity to play JV. I think it prepares us more for next year. More reps we get on the field the better.

Q: Last question, how do you define your success in the football program? In other words, where do you feel you contribute most to the team as a whole? Why?

A: I feel like I contribute most when I play against the 1st string guys to make them better in practice. I also contribute when the 2nd string guys get the opportunity to go out into the games in the second half and play our hardest like the one’s did.

writer: Quentin White