A Highschooler’s Halloween: Costume Anatomy

Halloween’s expectations are scary movies, ghosts, witches, and the supernatural, but for a high schooler the meaning of Halloween takes a whole new form. For students in their teens, Halloween is a chance to dress scandalously, in revealing lingerie with some sort of animal ears or a seductively mocking costume of white and blue collar professionals.

I’m not quite sure how the stereotypical mold of the sexy cop or bunny came about, but I do know that there are plenty of other perfectly acceptable costumes to choose from. Nobody said it was easy to look cute in a bloody bride or frankenstein costume, but those are far more socially acceptable and tolerable.

Many people find wearing a pair of ears or a few accessories with limited clothing to be cheaper than buying a full costume, and that may be the truth and reason why so many people choose those kinds of costumes. Which brings me to Halloween stores and overpricing.

Halloween stores are notorious for overpricing a costume that is made with thin, cheap fabric and is far from Calvin Klein quality. Spirit Halloween, for example, is a popular place for students to grab a ten dollar accessory to help out their costume. However, nobody wants to spend 30 dollars on a costume…even if it’s a great one. After all, we are teenagers and we are on a budget. Thus, resulting in DIY costumes.

Homemade costumes are typically less exciting and decked out, but usually have a humorous pun and creative edge. Putting together your own costume from scratch can be a fun or daunting task. When choosing your costume, keeping in mind that you will be making it yourself, try not to pick something that would require a lot of materials, time, and technical construction (like sewing). Most teens could easily find some oversized clothes and be a gangster. Or, find some jeans, a button up shirt, and glasses sporting tape in the middle and you have a great geek costume.

For instance, mine was a pair of mouse ears, black jeans, a black tee, and a black vest with a pair of tiny waterbug sunglasses. Teaming up with two good friends, we were the “Three Chic Blind Mice.” To say the least, an appropriate, cost efficient, and appealing Halloween costume can be done.

As for boys, we are sick of the banana costumes, Morph suits, and Magic Mike spinoffs. BE CREATIVE! We understand you want to show off your bodies, but Halloween is not the time, nor holiday, to do so. A guy has more options on Halloween than a girl does. He can play the part of any sports figure, actor, movie character, or singer. It will be seen as creative and humorous, where as a girl being any of these things (with the exception of a Marilyn Monroe costume) would be confusing and not as easily identifiable. So boys, please try one of the numerous costume ideas that are out there for you.

Will the guys switch it up this year or fall flat in creativity? Will the girls step outside the realm of seductive nurses and playboy bunnies? I guess we’ll find out.

xThe Kingx