Boys Swim and Dive Team Takes First Overall in GAC Conference, Rewrites Record Board

For the first time in Howell swimming history, the boys swim and dive team has claimed a GAC conference title. On Thursday, Nov. 1 the team achieved a record first place overall finish with a final score of 401 points.

With the guidance of head coach Mandy Chun, assistant coach Steve Wood, and dive coach Tom Lucido, the team significantly rewrote both the school, and GAC record boards.

Captain Bobby Wood finished first in the 100 breaststroke, setting a new school record of 59.58. Junior Alex Crawford broke his own school record in the 50 free , finishing second with a time of 21.94. The  200 medley relay finished first with a new school record of 1:40.58. Defending state champion, junior Ryan Baker, finished the 500 Freestyle in a record time of 4: 38.95, setting a new GAC record. To conclude the record-breaking streak, the 400-freestyle relay finished with a new school and GAC record of 3:15.63.

Other finals competition participants included freshman Adam Lewis, sophomore JB Heath, juniors Eric Kuehner, Ryan Nguyen, and Carson Paull, and senior Josh Hempen. In addition to numerous state qualifications, all members of the swim and dive team achieved personal best records throughout the course of GAC’s. All three relays, as well as each individual state qualifier, are currently ranked in the top six teams in the state.

Best of luck to the qualifiers, as they compete in the MSHSAA State Swimming and Diving competition next week!

Read more on the boys swim and dive team’s accomplishments at: