Siebenshuh Copes With Athletic Injury

POP. That was it. The simple sound was all it took for quarterback Brett Siebenshuh’s season to end.

“It popped. I hobbled off the field and fell down,” Siebenshuh said.

Late in the fourth quarter of the varsity game against Holt, while trying for a two-point conversion, a player’s helmet hit the left side of Siebenshuh’s knee, resulting in a torn ACL.

“You just can’t get game experience without playing,” Siebenshuh said.
The season started on a promising note. Siebenshuh attended camps in the St. Louis area for the Rams high school 7-on-7 team. Coaches chose him out of 600 other players to move on to workouts, where 12 out of the 30 were chosen for the team. Siebenshuh became the starting quarterback.
“Brett Siebenshuh is firing balls in and making elite-level throws,” Coach Matt Biermann told reporter Justin Stine for ramblinfan.com. “He threw two picks the entire tournament. Two picks and probably 35-plus touchdowns.”
Siebenshuh led the team to eight wins in the pool play portion, but the team lost to the Arizona Cardinals, 24-21, in the single-elimination portion of the tournament.

Once the school year started, he made his way onto the varsity team.

“I’m proud. There was a senior ahead of me and I beat him out for the position.” Siebenshuh said.
He doesn’t know of any specific plans for after high school, but he’d like to follow in his brother Eric’s footsteps. After being quarterback his senior year, Eric moved on to play for the University of Central Missouri.
“My dream is to play for any division one school,” Brett Siebenshuh said.
Dealing with the injury is not easy, but Siebenshuh knows he has support.
“He [Eric] guided me through the little things,” Siebenshuh said.
Although this injury is a set-back, Siebenshuh’s career is still unfolding.
“Over the last couple years he has grown as a student, an athlete, a leader, and most importantly as a person,” Coach Bryan Koch said. “I truly believe that Brett will bounce back from this injury and come back this off season with a vengeance to get better every day.”