Drumline Prepares for Mozingo Music Percussion Competition

As a senior, section leader Derek Peplaw has been through this experience three times. Every year, he puts on his drum and performs the piece of music he’s been practicing for past two months.  It’s time for the Mozingo Music Percussion Competition, the drumline’s first competition of the year, which occurs Sept. 8. at Ft. Zumwalt West.

“Mozingo’s is an early season showcase of all schools percussion ensembles. It gives everyone a chance to show off and let other ensembles know who they are up against at upcoming competitions. A good percussion is the foundation for a good band and we are expected to do very well at Mozingo’s this year,” Peplaw said.

Pit section leader Alex Ayres has also participated in this competition three times and knows what is expected.

“We have a better chance at winning this year than any other year. We still have things to work on but we are fairly prepared,” Ayres said.

As a freshman, drum set player Michael Hagar is completely new to the experience.

“I sort of don’t feel ready and I want more practices,” Hagar said. “I’m excited for my first competition though.”

Unlike Hagar, sophomore Gary Rudolph is on snare drum with two others. He switched from bass to snare this year.

“I’m excited to be on a new instrument and I’m ready for Mozingo’s,” Rudolph said.

By Allegra Flores