The Students News Site of Francis Howell High School

Five Questions with Dr.Wedlock

How long have you worked at Francis Howell?
“I’ve been a part of Francis Howell for 15 years as a teacher, dean, and now principal.”How did your career start and how has it evolved?
“I have my masters in English and started as an English teacher with sophomore composition and American literature classes. I’ve coached football, wrestling, and track as well as sponsored STUCO. After teaching for eight years I worked as a dean for seven years starting in the 2005-2006 school year. This year I’m the new principal.”How different is being principal compared to being associate principal?
“The associate principal position is more of a focus on school improvement. There are a lot of discussions with teachers on how to solve current issues in the school. Being principal is more of a general responsibility over the whole school.”What changes, if any, do you plan for Francis Howell?
“First of all, I want to recognize the success of this school. I’m very proud of how this school runs and because of that I’m not looking for any major changes. In this first year of being principal, I’m mainly going to look for small things that can be improved. Specifically right now we’re looking at what is the best use for the new parking lot, how to make it work smoothly and possibly some more student recognition.”

What are you most looking forward to as the new principal?
“I’m most excited about getting to know this school community better. As principal, I will be able to have more contact with the students and parents. Before, I spent most of my focus on the teachers, which was good, but I’m really looking forward to connecting more with students and parents.”