Students Make Sacrifices for Sports

How far will athletes go to make the cut? Students are pushed to the limit and give up more than just time to be a part of the team.

“I had to give up my dance career and soccer to have time for softball,” sophomore Payton Wilson said.

For Wilson, making the team meant giving up more than just time. It also meant not injuring herself in any way. Wilson had been looking forward to trying out shot put, but did not want to risk harming herself. Although she was no longer able to continue with dance, soccer, or try out shot put, she regrets nothing about her decision to stick with the sport she’s been playing her whole life.

“I get to meet new people, become friends with upperclassmen, and I build up strength. Above all, it helps me relieve my stress.” Wilson said.

Softball isn’t the only sport which requires caution. Junior Rachel Foister faces the same issues every day in marching band.

“I had to give up soda and any type of junk food to stay in shape,” Foister said. “The greatest challenge for me is practicing out on the parking lot in the heat everyday after school. I had to learn how to stay properly hydrated and force myself to drink water every night.”

Despite all the things Foister has had to give up, marching band has helped her adjust to  moving to a new school and making friends.

“It’s the best feeling having all that hard work pay off when we place at competitions.” Foister said.