The Students News Site of Francis Howell High School

Seniors stress over college decision

The time has finally come.  All of the standardized testing and extracurriculars are paying off.  Seniors are beginning to decide where they want to go to school and applications are being sent.

“I’m applying to George Mason University, American University, Lindenwood, and Truman.  The location, academics, and campus life are the main things I’m looking for in a school,” senior Drew Nelson said.
Every student has a different goal when choosing a college.  Some are looking for a specific major.
“All I’m really worried about is finding an area with a film major,” senior Nina Rosenburg said.
Others have certain expectations, and these are equally important as academics.
“I want to know what the dorms are like and all of the extracurriculars.  How expensive it is definitely matters,” senior Olivia Myers said.
“I’m looking for a school with a good Christian background and a good tennis team,” senior Code Power said.
There are many difficult and stressful components involved with applying to college.
“I think that actually getting up and choosing a college is difficult.  The applications are difficult too.  There are so many steps and I’m afraid I’ll mess it up some how,” Myers said.
Senioritis and procrastination makes the process even more difficult.
“I really haven’t started writing my essays yet.  I’ve done all of the research; it’s just filling out and writing the applications.  I think the hardest part is not knowing what they’re looking for in an essay,” Rosenberg said.
“I’ve put off the whole process until my parents have made me do it,” Myers said.
In the mind of every senior, this decision will depict his future.
“This decision will effect my future a lot because your education and experience in college is vital to when you leave college,” Nelson said.
Parents may have some say in the decision, but some students make the choice of where they will spend at least the next four years of their lives.
“The decision is mainly mine.  My parents have little impact,” Power said.
“All my parent care about is the tuition,” Myers said.
Overall, this milestone is a part of every seniors life.
“The most exciting part of choosing a college,” Rosenberg said, “is probably thinking about beign on my own and getting to start attaining my goals.”