Public Displays of Affection Unwanted

Going down the halls student see people rushing to class, groups of students chatting and, quite often, they have see public display of affection (PDA).

The most common PDA seen is kissing and making out. It is a natural way to express feelings and, with the raging hormones teenagers have, it is a frequent scene, but there comes a point when kissing is inappropriate. It makes students and teachers feel uncomfortable.

PDA doesn’t just bother a handful of students; it bothers a majority of the students walking down the hallway, who are trying to get to class.

Most couples see each other between classes, hang out everyday after school and go out on the weekends. They should be able to go through seven hours without making out.

According to professorshouse.com only 19 percent of high school sweethearts make it to college and of that, less than two percent make it to marriage. So why do students embarrass themselves with someone that probably isn’t going to be in their lives once they get out of high school?

Self-respect shouldn’t be the only reason students should stop PDA. The Code of Conduct states that inappropriate display of affection, including consensual kissing, fondling or embracing, is a Level One Offence. These actions can lead to detentions from any faculty member.

Teachers should go ahead and enforce this rule, and students should just wait to express their feelings in a private setting. There is a time and place for everything.

Written by: Mayra Garcia Hernandez