Students Find Time Management Valuable Skill

School. Work. Sports. Activities. There are several things kids in high school are dealing with. Many students have jobs and practices outside of school.
“On a stress level of one to 10, I’m always an eight,” senior Meghann Black said. “I work at TJ Max, and I work 20 hours a week, take two AP classes, and a few honors. I literally don’t have time to sleep.”
Black participates in various clubs such as the Creative Writing Club, French Club, Book Club, the Junior Reading Committee, FBLA, and track. She is also the V.P. of Cafe Howell, a creative writing club for students.
“I have a lot on my mind, constantly,” Black said. “You learn to just take it a minute at a time.”
Freshman Caleb Kapusciak also has a lot on his mind. He is active in two theatre programs, one outside of school, and one inside. Kapusciak is starring in two shows right now, and goes straight from school to rehearsal to rehearsal, balancing homework with practice and free time.
“There is a lot of need for good time-management skills,” Kapusciak said. “Stay organized! Organization is key!”
Freshman Sarah Anthonis says she herself is not very busy, but learning time management skills is important to her nonetheless.
“You need to find out what is more important, learn to prioritize,” Anthonis said.
Junior Kate Koenig is also busy both inside and outside of school. Koenig is involved in Golden Girls, Chamber Choir, Studio Dancing, and River Blenders, a singing program that helps get kids scholarships through music.
“Golden Girls takes up most of my time,” Koenig said. “The only advice I can give is plan out your week ahead of time, and don’t try and wing it.”
However, all of these students agree that free time to relax and goof off is essential in preventing a major meltdown.
“Just do it, seize the day in every moment,” Black said. “If that means goofing off for a few minutes at work, so be it. You learn to cut corners. I haven’t had a breakdown yet!”
Written by: Tina Donnelly