The Students News Site of Francis Howell High School

Mindless Behavior a Record Company Creation

Mindless Behavior is a group of four 13-year-old boys, Prodigy, Roc Royal, Ray Ray and Princeton, who are best known for opening at Pop-con for Justin Bieber and for the Backstreet Boys during their 2010 This Is Us tour.

According to the band’s biography, the group was the brainchild of Conjunction Productions team and Streamline Records head Vincent Herbert. Conjunction Productions hosted auditions in Los Angeles and Mindless Behavior was born.

I think everyone can relate to our songs. It‘s either a ten year old boy looking for 'Ms. Right‘ or a 60 year old man looking for 'Mrs. Right'. - Princeton

It took two years and the team of producer Walter Millsap, producer Keisha Gamble, songwriter Goldie Hampton, choreographer David Scott, and Herbert to “develop” the band.

This artistic development is obvious in the music. All traces of originality are gone from the band and the music. Instead, the boys are dressed as miniature Will.I.Am’s and the music is what a rapping, pre-teen Justin Bieber would sound like.

The lyrics to “Mrs. Right”, the group’s latest single are pure fluff and slightly disturbing, if one remembers that all of the boys are just 13. The repetitive chorus asks,” Where is Mrs.Right I gotta see her /
Travel all across the world just to meet her / Get me on a flight I gotta see her, / Travel all across the world just to meet her / Travel to LA and maybe to the Bay”.

Other verses are along the lines of,”Wipe me down wipe me down, if I like you, you wifey now / I predict one day we’ll be together I’m a psychic-ow”.

The group is attempting to promote individuality by changing the way that teens think and redefining the word “mindless”.

“If you‘re confident and not afraid to stand out, you‘re mindless. If you get good grades in school, you‘re mindless. If you express yourself, you‘re mindless,” the group commented in their biography.

Anybody can be mindless. It doesn't matter if you're two-years-old or eighty-two-years-old. Be yourself. Love who you are and love what you do, no matter what it is. That makes you mindless. - Ray Ray

Despite promoting individuality, Mindless Behavior has let itself be morphed by the record company. Mindless Behavior is the sound of a record company marketing to what teenage girls, shown through the band’s album, #1 Girl. Every song on the album revolves around love.

Mindless Behavior has potential, but first they must shed the company picked stage names, costumes, music, and start over from square one.

Listen to Mindless Behavior’s single “My Girl”:

Mrs. Right by Mindless Behavior