Technology Advances Change Way Teens Communicate

From texting and talking to playing and surfing the Internet; cell phones have become a teen’s best friend.

Nowadays, the advancement in technology of cell phones has been changing the lives of this generation. Texting is now the form of communication between teens. It enables teens to avoid face to face confrontation. It also gives teens the freedom to think about what they want to say, and how they want to say it.

“Personally, I would rather text because you have time to think about what you want to say,” junior Amanda Glon said. “You don’t have to worry about coming up with something right off the top of your head.”

Only an estimated 20 percent of teens currently own a Smartphone such as the iPhone or Android, but mobile phone and service companies are counting on the idea that Smartphone adoption will spread fast among the teens.

“I have the EVO 3G and love it because AT&T and the new technology make my phone a lot faster and easier to use,” junior Meaghan Hill said.

These new phone’s definitely differ from the older models in how long their battery can last. The older phone’s battery can last without charge for at most two days. The newer phones have to be charged every day.

“I have the LG Rumor Touch and it’s nice because I don’t have to constantly charge it,” sophomore Stephanie Clawson said. “It won’t spontaneously die on me.”

The Nielsen Company analyzed mobile usage data among teens for the second quarter April- June of 2010. No one texts more than teens (age 13-17), especially teen females, who send and receive an average of 4,050 texts per month. Teen males also separate from other male age groups, sending and receiving an average of 2,539 texts. Young adults (age 18-24) come in a distant second, exchanging 1,630 texts per month.

“I send probably about more than 1000 texts a month,” junior Megan Shewank said.

That can leave one hefty bill waiting for the parents. Cell phone providers now have packages that include unlimited text, call, navigation and Internet. That’s how cell providers compete with each other and get people interested in their services.

“My bill is probably a little over $100 including both of my parents and me,” Shewank said. “We have a plan where we get unlimited texting and a certain number of minutes between all of us.”

Teens are also downloading a wide range of applications or more commonly known as “apps” from sites like the App Store or the Android market. According to the Nielsen Company, software downloads among teen subscribers who use apps enjoyed a solid 12 percent increase in activity. This includes popular apps such as Facebook, Pandora, and YouTube.

“My Facebook app is always in use,” junior Danielle Rygeski said. “I love the game Reversi. It helps pass the time.”

Navigation is another smart phone feature that people use every day.

According to Cnet Reviews, navigation is a must-have feature nowadays, and more and more handsets are offering it. With the embedded GPS receiver and a mapping service, the features include: real-time position tracking, text- and voice-guided directions, and points of interest.

“Navigation is definitely helpful when I’m lost or don’t know how to get somewhere,” junior Jessica Faron said. “My phone is always with me.”

Written by: Javoni Faucette