JV Football Loses Close Game

The Vikings JV football team lost a close game to the CBC Cadets at home Sept. 26.Both teams were all tied at 14-14 going into the third quarter. In the second half the Vikings could not get the lead. Sophomore quarterback Brett Siebenshuh was under pressure in the pocket on nearly every down.

CBC’s Josh Marino caught a touchdown pass early in the third quarter to increase CBC’s lead. The extra point was blocked by Howell. The score now 20-14.

With pressure from CBC and not enough time to throw, the Vikings had to keep the ball on the ground in sophomore running back Adam Fazio’s hands. Several long runs wasn’t enough to put the Vikings back on top.

“Mentally we weren’t all there as a team,” Fazio said. “Now that it’s over we realized they were a good team and we needed to step our game up.”

The offensive line couldn’t hold together to protect Siebenshuh in the pocket.

“We just had an off night on the line,” sophomore Chris Beckmann said. “We just need to work on our blocking scheme, that’s all.”

At the end of the third quarter CBC remained in the lead by two touchdowns. Howell’s Siebenshuh threw a 30 yard touchdown pass to junior Brandon Suwanpratest. The score was now 27-21 CBC with three minutes remaining in the game.

Howell just could not come back, falling to the Cadets 27-21.

“It was a hard fought game and I feel we really came together as a team,” Beckmann said. “I don’t think anyone was disappointed in the way we played that night.”

Written by: Kyle Sample