The Students News Site of Francis Howell High School

Girls Varsity Volleyball Keeps Momentum

Ranked second in state, the girls varsity volleyball team defeated the third ranking Oakville Tigers 2-0 on Sept. 28.

Photo Credit: TJ Bartosch.

The win allowed the Vikings to hold on to their ranking.

“This win was very important for us,” middle Mandy Glon said. “If we hadn’t had won, we would drop down in the state rankings.”

With great passing, effective communication, and good blocks at the net from Middle Hannah Sawchak and Glon, the Vikings won the first game 25-21.

“We have a big, powerful front row. Offense is definitely our strength,” Glon said. “Other teams are scared of us.”

During the second game the Vikings lost their momentum. They were down by seven points when Coach Justin Young called for a time out.

“Knowing you are losing makes you work harder,” Glon said. “We knew we were capable of playing better and beating Oakville.”

The Vikings proved that they were capable of playing better when, with a serve from junior Maddi Cordia, they started their comeback and ended the game 25-21.

“We played well. We had drive and we fought back,” junior Javoni Faucette said, “Cordia served very well. Katie Sacco and Emily Beckkman were flying around, diving every where.”

The Vikings have big goals for the rest of their season.

“We want to win out conference and advance to the way to state playoffs. If we get there it would be the first time since I’ve been here,” Faucette said.

Written by: Mayra Garcia Hernandez

[nggallery id=45]