Varsity Baseball wins 2011 Class 4 State Championship

After a scoreless top of the first and rounding of the bases by senior Brett Peel for a 1-0 lead, senior Jared Hagely stepped to the plate. A swing and a crack –and Hagely drove in three more runs as opponent Liberty High fumbled for control. But the Vikings never lost the early lead, even through Liberty returned to score three runs. After seven innings, the boys varsity baseball team brought home a 10-5 victory and a state championship.

A four-run third inning helped the Vikings seal their graduation day win as the Liberty let the entire lineup bat. During the bottom of the fifth inning, senior Jacob Rhodes singled and next stole second during senior Brett Graves’ at-bat. The Vikings went into the sixth inning with a 9-5 lead.

After a double play by Graves, Howell went into the top of the seventh inning leading Liberty 10-5. Closing pitcher Steven Diel sealed the game as the Vikings to captured their second state championship, the previous one in 2003. The Vikings took second in 2009. The win capped a season that culminated in the team seniors barely making their graduation.

Liberty 5 11 7
Howell 10 9 0

Howell Line-up: 1. Brett Graves; 2. Brett Peel; 3. Jake Ivory; 4. Case Munson; 5. Kyle Nuetzel; 6. Gordy Gundaker; 7. Jared Hagely; 8. Zac Perkins; 9. Jacob Rhodes; Brannon Callaway (Pitcher).

Visit STLToday.com for the complete run down of the game.