The Students News Site of Francis Howell High School

Upperclassmen skip prom, formalities

Written by: Brendan Maher

High school prom. Students wait until they’re a junior or senior, when they can finally attend prom without being asked by an upperclassmen. Senior year prom is supposed to be a highlight, something really special. However, in a survey of 20 seniors, almost 50 percent of them are choosing not to attend.

“I’m going to the Jason Aldean concert instead of prom. It’s a lot cheaper, and I will have more fun listening to the kind of music I want, instead of what the prom DJ chooses for me to listen to,” senior Logan Eckhardt said.

One ticket alone costs $60. If a guy is taking a girl, that’s another $60. The price of a tuxedo which can range from $150 to $300, and a boutonniere is usually from $4 to $10. Then the guy must pay for gas, which is up to $3.59 a gallon, unless they are taking a limo which can range from $85 to $200 depending on the size. He might also be taking his date out for dinner which can go above $50 at a nice place.

“Prom is just way too much money. Last year I spent over $250 when it was all said and done. I can get a concert ticket to Jason Aldean for $40 and have a blast,” senior Karli Schwimley said.

Prom will be held May 13 in the St. Charles Convention Center. The room the dance is held in can hold around 800-1000 people, and junior class sponsor Susan Schneidenbach is expecting to have up to have between 550-600 people.

“Prom is way too many people packed into a small area. Last year was not even fun. Plus I could fill my truck up with gas four times for the price of prom,” senior Nick Keyes said.

About halfway through the evening, a meal will be served. Students have a choice of either a meat entree of chicken cordon blue or the vegetarian entree of fettuccine Alfredo. According to Schneidenbach, the cost of the ticket covers prom and no profit is being made.

Some students still plan to skip.
“There is really no point in me going to prom, I’d probably leave halfway through and go to a party anyway. Also, I can get a meal that tastes better at McDonald’s for $5, instead of wasting money on a crappy meal at prom,” senior Kyle Dailey said.
Updated 4/21/11 11:09 CST