The Students News Site of Francis Howell High School

Choir looking to sing at Blues game

Many kids dream of throwing the first pitch at a major league baseball game or flipping the coin at an NFL football game. But it’s Howell’s very own Chamber choir that has the opportunity few people ever get the chance to do. At half time of the Feb. 19 Blues Hockey game, Chamber choir will sing a selected piece for game attendees.

“We’ve never done anything like this before. We’re excited about this opportunity,” choir director Karey Fitzpatrick said. “[The parents and I] found out about the opportunity at a Booster’s meeting. One of the parents looked into it for us. ”

But along with the opportunity to sing at the Blues game comes the obligation for students to sell 250 tickets.

“The tickets are priced five dollars less to make them more enticing to buyers,” Fitzpatrick said.

Ticket sales also end up helping choir students looking to fund raise for the spring break Hawaii trip, pay off choir fees, etc.

“None of my family really likes hockey,” junior Sarah Gruett said. “But I like fundraising to pay for student fees and field trips.”

Although the original plan was to sing the National Anthem at the start of the game, Chamber choir has chosen to sing a jazz style piece.

“I’ve never heard the choir do anything like this before. I think it sounds cool,” senior Megan Krouper said. “I might go see it.”

The choir program is still looking to sell tickets to be able to perform at the Blues game. Tickets are $30 and orders should be turned in to Mrs. Fitzpatrick in room A130 as soon as possible.

The Blues will take on the Ducks in the Feb. 19 game at the Scott Trade Center.