Students question need for third snow day

Today, Jan. 24 is Francis Howell School District’s third snow day in the last two weeks. Unlike past snow days, the district called school off without the accompaniment of other large school districts in the area like Wentzville, St. Charles, and Fort Zumwalt.

At 3 a.m. this morning drivers went around assessing the safety of the roads. While roads on the South/West sides of the district were suitable for driving it was determined that the roads on the North/East sides of the district were not. At 4 a.m. it began to drizzle which immediately froze over into black ice.

Students remained skeptical about the need for another day off school.

“I dont think it was necessary considering that the other school districts didnt call off, esspecially ones like Wentzville and Troy,” senior Mariah Dwornick said. ” Though, I havent really been on the roads much so I’m not sure how they are.”

Other students worry about losing more days from their already shortened summer break.

“Unless we get a total of seven snow days, we’re really cutting into our summer break,” freshman Aurielle Macchi said.

Facebook is abuzz with questioning from students who worry about potentially falling behind in classes, but teachers use other media platforms like Twitter to assure students that all is well.

“We’ll talk due dates and lit circles when we’re back from our 5 day weekend. Enjoy another day off” Advanced Placement Literature teacher Kim Linneman said.

Parents of elementary students showed up at school to drop their children off to be told they had to turn around. Yet, the resounding message seems to be that the district would rather its students and bus drivers be safe and at home than braving the dangerous weather.