The Students News Site of Francis Howell High School

Venue change causes problems for drama club

For four years, Limelight Theatre has not had to go far for the State Thespian Conference held in January. But with a new change of venue came a new experience for drama club’s veterans.

Usually held at University of Missouri St. Louis, State Thespian Conference was held at Missouri State in Springfield, Jan. 6, 7 and 8.

“I didn’t mind the change that much,” sophomore Michelle Zigler said. “I really enjoyed the Conference even though I was a little disappointed with some of the one acts.”

But Limelight Theatre encountered problems while trying to make sure they had a place to rest their heads each night. In preparation for the Conference, the Missouri State Thespians booked a hotel for every theatre troupe around Missouri to be able to stay together and walk to campus. But the Conference hotel ended up overbooking themselves, leaving many schools to find other means of room and board.

“I was frustrated because we had calculated student cost for the trip based on the rate at the Conference hotel,” theatre teacher Charles Mueller said.

Some members were ruffled by the lack of organization.

“I was a little thrown off by being in a new venue and the lack of organization there seemed to be this year,” drama club secretary Madelyn Brandt said. “But it was also understandable since the hotel mess up probably stressed out a lot of the board members.”

Even with such a hitch in the planning, attendees of State Thespian Conference still enjoyed their time.

“I loved State,” freshman Aurielle Macchi said. “It was a great experience to meet other theatre kids from around Missouri.”