The Students News Site of Francis Howell High School

Faith and age change holiday traditions

As the holiday season approaches, many are beginning to prepare for their own personal celebrations. Although Christmas is the most common amongst December festivities in the St. Charles area, any celebration of one’s faith is what is important.

The most recognizable holidays in December are typically Christmas and Hanukkah. Growing up in a household where his mother is Christian and father is Jewish, junior Sam Crosby celebrates each one of the holidays.

“Instead of having to choose just one, my family decided we would celebrate both,” Crosby said.

Although he partakes in Christmas festivities, Crosby prefers Hanukkah.

“I go to my grandma’s and we do the typical family stuff,” Crosby said. “I feel there is more culture with Hanukkah though. I liked Christmas as a kid because of the presents.”

Crosby is not alone in this. Senior Sam Volle, who is agnostic, has grown out of the consumer aspect of Christmas.

“I don’t get presents myself, but my family still does it. I decided myself that I don’t want them. I’m more mature now so it’s not all about presents,” Volle said.

Although Crosby still partakes in the traditional Christmas festivities, Volle takes a different approach to Dec. 25.

“My family usually wakes up early and everything, but I just tend to go on with my typical daily routine,” Volle said.

The holiday of Christmas is one that the majority of the area celebrates. Senior Ryan Wiess’s family is among these families.

“I spend the day with  my family from when I wake up to the mid-afternoon. We watch football, make breakfast, family stuff,” Wiess said.

Although many teens enjoy Christmas for mainly the presents, Wiess along with Crosby and Volle has come to the same conclusion.

“As I’ve gotten older, I’ve realized the true point of Christmas is the joy of giving. Now though, it seems it’s more of the opposite,” Wiess said. “We’ve got it backwards.

Although people have completely different holiday preparations, it is the fact that people are celebrating their religions that makes the holiday season what it is.

“I support any celebration of what you believe in. Don’t claim something if you don’t fully commit to it. Celebrating your holiday, is representing your commitment to your beliefs,” said Wiess. “It’s a physical celebration of religion. It’s more than just words, you’re actually doing something about it.”