The Students News Site of Francis Howell High School

Perry’s “Teenage Dream” generic, but catchy

Katy Perry has always been seen as a “controversial,” or “outrageous” artist but the truth of it is that she just isn’t. Perry is a bland and generic artist. Though, some of her songs are catchy and upbeat, they are simply just like every other pop song. In some cases, too much like other pop songs. For instance, her song “California Gurls,” though it has a different and more pop beat, has the exact same lyric as the Beach Boy’s song, “California Girls.” In both songs they state, “I wish they could all be California girls,” and of course the song’s title. Seriously Katy Perry? Changing the spelling of “girls” does not change the fact you ripped off a song idea from the Beach Boys.

Not only is she copying other artist’s music, but her style as well. Take one look at Lily Allen and immediately you can see the similarities. The fact that Katy Perry herself even compared herself to Allen speaks for itself. The two genres are uncannily similar, they both share the same pop, independent-woman, sassy attitude that comes across in both artist’s work. Though Perry is getting more recognition for doing less work, Lily Allen still did it first, and does it better.

Besides the fact that she ripped off another artist’s work, the fact that she isn’t that great of a song writer doesn’t help her career. Her song “Peacock,” speaks for itself. “Let me see your peacock,” is repeated several times. Not only is it a stupid thing to say, but to repeat it that many times makes it much worse. The pop genre, I know, is not intended to be deep and meaningful, but this attempt at good, pop music is sad. By saying “let me see your peacock,” she’s just screaming out the fact that she wants to be some controversial artist.

These attempts haven’t just started on the Teenage Dream album though, Perry has been trying to get attention since her first single “Ur So Gay.” Obviously, by playing the whole “gay” card people are without a doubt going to pay more attention to you. Once again with the song “I Kissed a Girl.” People are going to be drawn in by the song, either loving it or protesting it. This whole wanna-be controversial image Katy Perry has is what makes me dislike her image.

Her new album “Teenage Dream”, is less of this I can admit. Although, it really sounds like another mainstream pop album to me I can say that I do like all of the songs. I wouldn’t go and buy it, but I definitely wouldn’t mind listening to it on the radio or downloading it on Limewire.

Katy Perry’s album is good for what she is trying to be. It’s exactly what I expected: another album filled with repetitive song lyrics about getting wasted and “teenage love.” If generic pop music is your type of music, then I strongly recommend you purchase “Teenage Dream.” Three out of four stars.