Neon Trees impress with debut album

Neon Trees impress with debut album
Bursting onto the scene, the Utah-based Neon Trees is not your typical band. Feeding off of punk-influences, 80s alternative and subtle “indie” pop, Neon Trees has been slowly entering the spotlight since the end of their tour with The Killers. Their single “Animal” has been all over the airwaves and their debut album, “Habits”, discusses the many sides of love and being a teen through high-energy tracks. The album starts with lead singer Tyler Glen singing “I’ve got these habits that I can’t / I’ve got these habits that I cannot / I’ve got these habits that I cannot break”. As soon as the last word finishes, the drums solo starts and the 26-minute album begins. The music is perfect for a fast-paced party with the catchy beats and repetitive lyrics and touches on the issues of a first love, unrequited love, and regret. The songs don’t vary much in topic or lyrics, but the sound ranges from the 80’s throwback song “1983”, to the jazzy “In The Next Room”, to the pop “Your Surrender”. The variety in song styles and the strength of Glen’s vocals is the band’s strongest suit, but the repetitive lyrics and lack of range of the song topics gets boring after awhile. Still, with a band that has just come into the spotlight, they have plenty of time to fix those issues.
Rate: 3.5/5
Songs To Download: In The Next Room and Your Surrender
For Fans Of: Depeche Mode, The Killers