Rough play at Homecoming festival

Homecoming without a powderpuff game? That’s how the situation was looking Sept. 23, just one day before the traditional girl-on-girl football game.

The Homecoming festival was in danger of being canceled due to weather experts’ predictions of morning showers Sept. 24.

In preparation, activities director Dave Witter sent out an email to all teachers explaining the possible outcomes.

According to the administration, if the forecast looked grim the festival would have been canceled and the student body notified before eight am. In this case, all students would have had to follow a full day schedule.

“I was worried about the rain because all the practices would have been a waste of time,” senior Brennan Riley said. Riley participated in the male cheerleading portion of the festival.

Luckily for all those expecting to participate in the festivities, it did not rain for long. By nine a.m. the rain had cleared and the Homecoming festival followed through as planned.

Soon after the start of the powderpuff games, the threat of rain was long forgotten.

“Both teams really wanted to win,” senior Kendra Sontag said. “Since the game was close, the tension was high.”

During the junior vs senior game, multiple students were ejected from the game for “rough play.”

“A lot of people were grabbing other people and pulling on their arms. One girl punched Taylor [Huntington] in the back of the head,” Sontag said. “It was violent.”

Despite the threats of rain and concussions, the Homecoming festival followed the usual schedule. Howell spirit was all around.

“Everything I saw and have heard since, is that the Festival was a great success. It turned out to be great weather,” Witter said.