The Students News Site of Francis Howell High School

Graffiti traditions illegal

It’s displayed unashamedly on the stoplight poles, the blistering asphalt. Neon student signatures litter the intersection of Highway 94 and D, making a bold statement on the road to Howell. While this graffiti is not an unfamiliar sight, the tradition of seniors spray painting their names and graduating class onto the road is slowly becoming non-existent.

Complaints from residents in the area have lead to the crackdown by local police leading to the arrest of many students in the past. Current seniors have looked forward to participating in the tradition but have been discouraged by the threat of arrest.

“All through my high school years I have seen the graffiti and have wanted to leave my mark but with it being a lot more risky this year I have decided not to risk my luck,” senior Eugene Broders said.

Only a few students from the class of 2011 have decided to go ahead with the tradition.

“I didn’t really mind that there was a possibility that I could get in trouble. I just knew that this was one tradition that I didn’t want to miss out on,” an anonymous source said.

“I definitely think that there shouldn’t be any penalty for spray painting your name on the road,” Broders said. “It is not fair to the current seniors to be robbed of this tradition.”