Publications Attends JEA Spring Conference

Five junior publication students attended a JEA sponsored journalism conference in Los Angeles, California April 13-17. Junior Shelby Odle received honorable mention in Yearbook Copy/Caption Student Life.

April 13, five members of the publications staff flew to LA for the JEA Spring conference.
“After my fall conference in Orlando, I was eager to develop my journalism skills even more. Plus I’ve never been to Los Angeles which was exciting,” junior Brooke Watkins said.
Over the four day conference, students learn and improve their journalism ways, through exploring different topics, and competing in individual events.
The yearbook won the best of show, placing sixth nationally, and junior Shelby Odle received Honorable Mention in Yearbook Copy Caption: Student Life write off.
“I was excited to place at JEA for the first on the west coast,” Odle said. “I love write-offs, and convention because they’re great experience.”
Members on their off day toured Santa Monica pier, Venice beach, and took in the sites of Hollywood.
“Seeing the atmosphere and the unique people in all the places was awesome,” junior Forrest Gibson said. “My favorite part was the Paramount pictures foundation museum in Hollywood.”