Tornado Hazards at Howell

With spring approaching, severe weather is bound to happen, and it could end up leading to tornados that can strike at any given moment. With this being the case, students should worry about tornado procedures.

On May 22, 2011, Joplin, Missouri was hit with a EF5 tornado, and after the East Middle School  released footage from the security cameras it showed how bad the tornado damaged the school where it showed hallways destroyed and glass from the door flying through the building. After this schools including Howell changed procedures for tornadoes.

Students now shelter in places like the rest rooms, storage closets, and other safe rooms similar to the drama room, resource room, ISAP room, and other windowless interior classrooms.

However, Howell still puts students in some hallways. Assistant principal Jessie Altman; who oversees safety said  hallways B and D are considered wind tunels and most dangerous, so those locations were changed, and that the A and C hallways react differently, which is why students can shelter there.  

However ,there could still be a possibility of something happening in the A and C hallways. It might be safe, but with the amount of students in those halls, it’s possible something could still happen,  and we shouldn’t risk it. Howell already crams students in halls on the A and C hallways, but instead, Howell should cram the A and C hallway students into the rooms other B and D students are in. It could be crammed worse, but ensures more safety for everyone.