Early Graduation

Getting ahead or just getting the Howell out of here?

At the end of first semester, students that have filled all of the credit requirements have the option of graduating early. Some try to get a head start on college, but some like senior Jacob Carrillo more or less do not have an option.

For Carrillo, the start of a new year does not only mean a new resolution to forget or remembering to write 2019 when dating his papers. It means moving across the country from his friends back to his hometown of Los Angeles, CA.

“My dad got a better job there. I am somewhat upset about the experiences I’ll miss, but I’m also excited about the new ones I’ll get in California. I definitely will miss my friends and that’s probably the worst thing about moving. I intend to go to college or to real estate school but not until after summer. In the meantime, I plan on hanging out with friends and family in California,” Carrillo said.

Senior Max Giesmann has dreams of becoming a lawyer. Most lawyers spend a total of seven years of school after high school. They spend four years getting their undergraduate degree and another three in law school. An early college start means getting up to 18 credits out of the way.

“It’s going to take a lot of time to be a lawyer, so if I can get ahead on that then I will. I’ve done everything I need to do here. I’ve got all of the credits I need, so there is no point in staying. I plan to start my first semester at St. Charles Community College,” Giesmann said.

Leaving early means students miss out on memories second semester could hold.

“I am kind of upset, because everyone keeps telling me that high school only happens once and I might miss stuff. I will miss my friends, but I’ll keep in touch with my old friends,” senior Lauren Foerstel said.