Varsity Swim and Dive Prelims

“Our goal for prelims of GACs was to have everyone finish in the top 16, and come back to finals on Thursday,” senior captain Kylie Flagel said. “We achieved the goal, and I couldn’t be more excited about swimming at finals Thursday.”

Monday Feb. 8, varsity swim and dive race in their GACS prelims at the Rec Plex. Beginning the meet off right, sophomores Madison Nguyen, Katelyn Schenk, Emma Brabham, and  junior Alyssa Juris finish first in the 200 medley relay, and go their personal best.

“I’m excited to put on our fast suits, and see how much more we can drop from that time, Thursday,” Schenk said.

Following the first event Brabham takes the first seed by over three seconds in the 200 freestyle. Junior Lilly Apperson makes A finals finishing sixth, and sophomore Morgan Blackwood slips in finals finishing sixteenth to conclude the B finals.

“I believe the three of us put ourselves at a nice rank for Thursday,” Apperson. “I’m ready to swim even faster, and hopefully finish in top four.”

Fort Zummwalt West puts up a fight for the 200 freestyle relay first seed against Brabham, Flagel, Juris, and Nguyen. The girls take the win.

“This wasn’t our best swim, but we will continue to defend our title Thursday,” Nguyen said.

In the final individual event of the night, 100 breaststroke, freshman Luci Mach, sophomore Erin Gilbert, and junior Kelly Schroeder finish in the top eight.

“This is my first GACs and everyone has been so encouraging,” Mach said. “I can’t wait to race again and finish lower.”

Finals are Thursday Feb. 11 at 4pm at the Rec Plex.