Mac Miller Review: GO:OD Album

“GO:OD AM,” the newest album by Mac Miller, includes a variety of rap songs such as slower beats and fast paced vocals. With its clever song titles and tongue twisting lyrics, the album definitely doesn’t fall short of originality.

Malcolm James McCormick, better known by his stage name Mac Miller, is an American rapper from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Before changing his name to Mac Miller, Miller went by the stage name EZ Mac. At the early age of 15, he released his first mixtape, But My Mackin’ Ain’t Easy. Since then, Miller has released 10 mixtapes and three studio albums, and embarked on five tours.

Miller released a music video for 100 Grandkids, one of the 17 songs from his latest album, “GO:OD AM.” The majority of the video features Miller’s face in the moon, while others dressed up as different animals perform on a stage. Miller watches as the people act out Romeo and Juliet, then later dance with Miller. The video itself is far from cliche due to the crazy costumes and odd scenario. While the video is odd, it is definitely eye catching, different than any other music video, and a bold move on Miller’s part.

Overall, Miller’s more mature rapping and song style makes this album one of his best yet. Though if one isn’t a fan of explicit songs, it would be wise to steer clear of this one. Don’t even bother trying to listen to the clean version, it’s just not the same. If one is a fan of Miller’s previous albums and songs, then this one is definitely worth listening to.

Score ⅘

Review by: Olivia Biele