DECA and FBLA reach out to alumni

Although to most of the student body DECA and FBLA seem virtually the same, these business groups have come together to help two Howell graduates.

Alumni Katie Long, class of 2006, and Jenna Hale, class of 2004, were recently diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma; a form of cancer that often strikes younger groups.

“We found out they had cancer, so we wanted to do something for them,” FBLA sponsor Sandi Sewing said.

For three weeks, DECA and FBLA have been sponsoring a multitude of events to raise awareness and money for Long and Hale.

At the Varsity football game against Howell North, Oct. 22, both groups hosted an event called the Miracle Minute.

“FBLA and DECA members [ran] up through the bleachers with purple and blue pumpkins that people [stuck] money or change in” Sewing said. “We handed out papers as people came in so they would understand.”

Overall, the Miracle Minute ended a success.

“We made $1,022,” Sewing said. “The football boosters donated fifty percent of the 50/50 raffle. We got $157 from that.”

“It was difficult because some people weren’t paying attention,” freshman Olivia Buffington said. “In the end people did end up donating. They weren’t stingy.”

As well as hitting the football game, DECA and FBLA had a multitude of events for the service project.

The first event to raise awareness was a pumpkin decorating contest.

“I acutually took the pumpkin home to decorate it” senior Shannon Banze said. “It was really hard because I had to make the arms and legs for it.”

All pumpkins were displayed at the Oct. 19 and 21 parent teacher conferences, are on display to the student body the week of Oct. 25.

On Wednesday, Oct. 27, Buffalo Wild Wings will also help bring in money.

“They do [these types of] fundraisers a couple Wednesday nights,” DECA sponsor Nadine Freedline said. “They donate 10% of proceeds unless it’s over one thousand dollars. Then they donate 15%.”

And to finish off the service project, a school-wide spirit week will take place Oct. 25-29.

“It was [all] worth it,” Buffington said. “It will raise awareness and help pay for their treatment.”