Are you ever too old to dress up for Halloween?

Students discuss their costume ideas

When autumn chills the air, not only do the leaves are fall, but Halloween costume prices  bloom.

Costume stores like Party City and Spirit Halloween have prices ranging from $20 to $100, depending on the costume and accessories needed. Online stores such as Amazon have prices over $100.

“I am ordering a full body panda suit off of Amazon for my costume,” senior Joey Gulledge said. “It’s going to cost over $100 with shipping.”

“I spent way more than I should have on my kid’s costumes,” business teacher Erika Halloran said. “My kids knew that they wanted to be a puppy and a kitty so I went and ordered their costumes online from Pottery Barn. It was more expensive, but it was better to buy their costumes early than run around the last minute.”

Junior Maddie Jones finds it cheaper to make her costume.

“I am making a Ciel Phantomhive dress from Black Butler for about $60. Online the costume would have cost me about $300,” Jones said. “I am also going to wear it to fandom conventions and costume contests to get more use out of it.”

Some find it cheaper to repurpose materials they already have, changing the outfit by buying a few finishing touches.

“I am reusing my powder puff cheerleader outfit for my costume,” senior Ned Bargen said. “I want to save money on a Halloween costume because I don’t have much to begin with. I might spend about $10 to add to my costume.”

“I am dressing up as Pepe,” sophomore Dylan Enyart said. “I can make most of my costume with stuff I have around my house. I will just need to buy green face paint.”

The option remains not to dress up at all.

“I am too old to dress up,” sophomore Grace Messina said. “I’ve never really been into Halloween.”

“I am probably not dressing up,” freshman Caleb Bogener said. “I haven’t thought of any ideas.”

Whatever happens Oct. 31, it’s up to the individual on what they want to do.

“It’s a personal preference on whether people dress up or not,” senior Brandice Atherton said. “If you want to dress up you can, if not, you don’t have to.”

“Halloween is meant to be fun and people celebrate it in different ways,” senior Haley Murphy said. “It’s a fun night to scare and do whatever you want.”