Winter Sports Preview

Though winter is seen to many as the time to stay home and watch movies, numerous athletes choose to practice every day to compete in their sports. The activities starting up include boys’ basketball, girls’ basketball, wrestling, girls’ swim and dive, and winter guard.

“I’ve been going to private practices so I know I’m ready,” senior Sam Heese said. “Also I find working out after school is really helpful.”

With winter sports dead week beginning this week, athletes prepare themselves for their respective tryouts, starting Nov. 2.

“To prepare for tryouts, I’ve been weight lifting, training, and doing agility work to keep up my skills before the basketball season starts,” senior Brett Elifritz said. “To make sure I’m not injured, I like to go to the gym and get up a lot of shots on my free time.”

The boys’ and girls’ basketball teams are the reigning GAC Champs, both having 20 wins last season.

“I’m excited to get back in the atmosphere of the home games,” Elifritz said. “We hope to defend our conference championship this year.”

Along with basketball, girls’ swim and dive has a state title to protect in the 200 freestyle relay. Varsity swim also came within a point of winning the GAC championship.

“Swimming club year round gets me ready to start the high school season,” junior Alyssa Juris said. “We have a lot of girls not coming back this year, so I’m interested to meet the new girls on the team.”

Together, the winter sports from last year combine for two state championships and two GAC championships.

writer: Kristen Landon