Alessia Cara Review

There’s at least one of them at every party or social gathering: the wallflower. The one dragged there by their friends or by their own desire to unglue themselves from the TV. The one who stands in the corner or sits on the edge of the couch looking out of place. We’re all familiar with the feeling, whether we’ve lived it ourselves or not–I know I am. For all you wallflowers out there, rising pop artist Alessia Cara has managed to put this painfully awkward experience in words. Her debut single “Here” is an anthem to the introverts.

Cara’s music career began on YouTube, singing covers of popular songs and posting them to her channel. Eventually her amazing pipes found the ears of Def Jam Recordings, who offered the 19-year-old singer to record her music. Cara’s debut EP “Four Pink Walls” released Aug 28, and reached five stars in reviews on iTunes. Artists such as Drake, Amy Winehouse, and Ed Sheeran inspire Cara’s unique, soulful sound.

Other tracks on the five-song album include “Four Pink Walls”; a great tune for kicking back with friends; and “Seventeen”; the musical epitome of growing up. Cara’s lyrics are incredibly relatable; her songs resonate with young and old. In my opinion, she’s got lyrical storytelling talent of Taylor Swift, mixed with the essence of teen spirit of Lorde.

For those of you out there who stiffen at the pop genre, never fear: Cara strays from the emotionally empty party songs that constantly blare from the radio. For those of you who worship America’s Top 40, you’ll hear Cara’s refreshing music soon enough. Everyone in between: I encourage you to give it a listen. I, for one, have “Four Pink Walls” on repeat.

writer: Madison Jones