Abundance of Katherines by John Green Review

Socially awkward teenager and anagramming master Colin Singleton has reached a pitiful halt in his learning career. Trapped between titles, he finds himself on the desperate search for the answer to his problems: a eureka moment, much like that experienced by many historically famous figures, of which he can use to propel him from child prodigy to adult genius. To make matters worse for Colin however, he has just been dumped. For the 19th consecutive time. By yet another girl named Katherine. In a desperate attempt to save Colin from himself, witty and devoted sidekick, Hassan Harbish, prompts the pair to embark on a roadtrip to the little-known town of Gutshot, Tennessee, where Colin commences his endeavor to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability. By recalling the past to predict the future, Colin has the ultimate realization that destiny is not defined, and no matter the circumstance of the past, there is hope for the future.

Throughout Abundance of Katherines, John Green does not stray from consistency. His frequent footnotes providing witty comments and mathematical equations explaining complex theories flow magnificently with the quirky propensities of protagonist Colin Singleton to enhance the eccentricity of the novel. Although the road trip theme is a bit cliched in modern literature, Green does an excellent job portraying its worthiness to the novel; Colin’s literal journey of mind is well reflected through the metaphorical journey of a road trip. Abundance of Katherines consists of a somewhat brazen style that may not be enjoyable for every reader, but is however appreciated by those who enjoy its comedic element. Although many novels try to incorporate an indelible life lesson, there are only but a few who succeed. Abundance of Katherines surpasses common expectation of a remarkable moral story by not only displaying it in the life of a relatable teenage boy, but also by applying it to a functioning math equation. In addition, the conciseness of the novel allows it to hold the reader’s attention for the entire span of the story, thoroughly impacting it’s audience within a short number of pages.

Abundance of Katherines is a novel that seems to live in the shadow of the later The Fault in Our Stars, however, this underdog was a 2007 Michael L. Printz Honor book and a finalist for the Los Angeles Times Book Prize, it was also named one of the books of the year by Booklist, Horn Book, and Kirkus.

writer: Sara Metzger